Popularity of sushi has brought rise in parasitic infections, warn doctors

Popularity of sushi has brought rise in parasitic infections, warn doctors

Popularity of sushi has brought rise in parasitic infections, warn doctors

The Food Standards Agency, the organization responsible for protecting public health in relation to food in the United Kingdom, stated fish meant to be eaten raw should be frozen before it is sold to consumers to ensure any parasites have been killed.

The area below the man's ribs was sore and a blood test revealed he had inflammation.

After questioning him about his symptoms, and discovering that he had eaten sushi recently, they quickly became concerned that he could be suffering from a parasitic infection called anisakiasis, where worms take over the intestinal lining of the stomach.

Raw fish can at times carry tiny worms that can lodge into a human gut when eaten.

A special kind of net was used to remove the larvae "and the patient's symptoms resolved immediately", a central Lisbon hospital's team said.

The man's symptoms cleared up after the larva was removed.

"There is a need to better estimate and understand the burden of disease worldwide (especially in those countries where consumption of raw or undercooked fish is common)", Bao said.

Doctors warn that the rising popularity of sushi in the west could lead to more cases here.

Experts say the disease is found in certain types of fish that have been contaminated by a parasite.

"However, it has been increasingly recognised in Western countries", they wrote.

A spokesperson from the the National Institute of Infectious Diseases said that an increase in raw seafood being transported across Japan rather than being transported in a frozen state, was likely the cause of the spike in cases of anisakis infection. This is particularly concerning in Spain, where there are about 8000 infections each year for the ingestion of marinated anchovies and raw food. They infect the intestines of their hosts and move into their muscles when the hosts die. Laboratory analysis showed that the larva belonged to the anisakis species.

But my guess is that's not a super-realistic prescription, so there's also this: Only eat super-fresh raw seafood from legitimate restaurants that have great hygiene and food-storage practices. If not, people should store it at -4 degrees Fahrenheit for three days to kill parasites.

"Properly trained sushi chefs can detect anisakis larvae", Carmo said.

Related news